Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Language Investigation 1

My dad is the carrier of family stories, traditions, and most importantly, family phrases. The first phrase that comes to mind is "The breath of a thousand buffaloes." This is used to describe bad breath in our family. When my brother and I were little after our parent's divorce, we shared a bed with my dad for a few weeks while he got sorted to move into a different house. My dad said when my brother would roll over in the morning and breathe into his face, it would smell like "the breath of a thousand buffaloes." I'm not sure why he picked buffaloes... but it has stuck with our family ever since. Another family phrase is "Giddy-up like a horsey." This is a phrase my dad would use in the morning to wake my brother and I up for school. Again, not entirely sure why he chose this phrase, but it always indicated the coming of morning and another school day ahead. The last phrase I am going to discuss comes from my brother and I when we would jump on my dad while he was watching television. We would look at each other and count, "1...2....3..." and then shout, "DOUBLES!" and jump together on my dad's stomach. Since then Garrett and I still say, "Doubles!" when we are about to do something together. Once when my youngest brother Jack and I were watching The Simpsons one of the characters said "The berries taste like burning!" Since then, every time Jack is eating something he doesn't like he says, "It tastes like burning!" Only him and my brother Garrett and I understand what it means.

2 comments:

Shawnee McPhail said...

That's hilarious. We were big Simpson's fans in my family, so I know exactly to which episode you are referring. Your blog cracked me up, because your phrases showcased what seems like such a loving, fun family. The fact that your brother's breath can be described as buffalo breath is pretty funny, and your relationship with your brother and doing something together leads me to believe that you guys had a good relationship. I enjoyed reading your blog, and I think you did a great job of explaining it too.

B. T. said...

Wade, a good friend of mine in high school always used to say "tastes like burning." I personally wasn't sure of where it came from, but coming from Wade suspected it was a Simpsons' quote. It is funny how some of these jokes from television creep into a select few individual's regular speech. I also thought your "breath of a thousand buffaloes" story was really funny. Good, good.